As of 07:00 Egypt time Thursday 25th March Evergreen can confirm the following: After 48 hours of proactive efforts to re-float Ever Given, the time chartered vessel’s grounding situation has not been resolved.
The shipowner confirms that the crew, ship and cargo are all safe, and no marine pollution has materialized. There had been no black out resulting in loss of power prior to the ship’s grounding.
The shipowner has appointed two maritime professional rescue teams from the Netherlands (Smit Salvage) and Japan (Nippon Salvage) to attend the ship. These teams will be working with the Captain and the Suez Canal Authority to design a more effective plan for refloating the vessel as soon as possible.
Evergreen Line will continue to coordinate with the shipowner and Suez Canal Authority to deal with the situation with the utmost urgency, ensuring the resumption of the voyage as soon as possible and to mitigate the effects of the incident.
As the vessel is chartered, the responsibility for the expense incurred in the recovery operation; third party liability and the cost of repair (if any) is the owners.
A further up-date on the situation will be made as material information becomes available.
Update to EVER GIVEN’s status in the Suez Canal 28th March 2021
Having removed more than 20,000 tons of sand and mud, the dredging operation underway has succeeded in loosening the EVER GIVEN’s bow within the bank of the Suez Canal and the ship’s stern has been cleared from the sand bank. The rudder and propeller of the vessel are fully functional and expected to provide additional support to tugboats assigned to move the container ship from the accident site so that normal transit may again resume within the canal.
The rescue team is continuing the dredging efforts and will resume attempts to refloat the vessel at 14:00 local time in Egypt (20:00 Taipei time).
Update to EVER GIVEN’s status in the Suez Canal 29th March 2021
Although the rescue team had originally been scheduled to resume attempts to refloat EVER GIVEN at 14:00 local time in Egypt (20:00 Taipei time), after their site assessment the decision was made to delay that operation while more tugboats are summoned to join the effort. Accordingly, the refloating operation has been postponed to approximately 02:00 – 03:00 local time in Egypt (08:00 – 09:00 Taipei time) on 29th March.
In the meantime, the dredging operation is continuing to make progress. The refloating operation will resume as soon as the additional tugboats arrive to complete the deployment.